Peanut butter cups and strawberry jam are wrapped in flaky biscuit dough, air fried and then dusted in powdered sugar. These bites of heaven are like little jelly donuts that are ready in just 8 minutes.
Have you ever had fried peanut butter cups?
They can often be found at amusement parks and fairs. Usually the peanut butter cup has been dipped in some kind of wet batter and tossed in a deep fryer, resulting in a crispy, flaky donut filled with a melty chocolate peanut butter cup.
They are pretty delicious and decadent.
Because the air fryer doesn’t work very well on wet batter, these peanut butter cups have been wrapped in flaky biscuit dough. Then they are cooked until golden and doused in powdered sugar.
I took things a bit further and added a spoonful of strawberry jam to the centre.
You are left with a flaky dough oozing with peanut butter, chocolate and jam. Like mini jelly donuts made in your own kitchen.
Why This Recipe Works
Simple ingredients – This recipe only requires 4 simple ingredients.
Easy preparation – No chopping or mixing or bowls required.
Quick – These take just a few minutes to prepare and only 8 minutes to cook.
Refrigerated biscuit dough – I use refrigerated country biscuits which come in a count of 10. If you can’t find these, you can use crescent rolls instead.
Jam – I like using strawberry jam, but you can use whatever flavour you like. Store bought or homemade.
Peanut butter cups – You will want to use the standard size peanut butter cup for these.
Powdered sugar – For dusting and is what makes these feel like a donut.
Wrap the Peanut Butter Cups
One – Separate the biscuits and flatten to about 3 inches round. Then add 1-2 teaspoons of jam to the centre and place a peanut butter cup on top.
Two – Fold the edges of the biscuit up and over the peanut butter cups being careful not to squish the jam out. Pinch the centre to seal the dough.
Air Fry the Peanut Butter Cups
Three – Place the prepared peanut butter cups in the air fryer basket leaving an approximately an inch of room between them for expansion. If you have a basket less than 5 quarts you will need to work in batches.
Four – Set the air fryer to 320°F for 8 minutes. When the timer is complete the dough should be puffed and golden. Remove them from the basket, allow to cool for about 5 minutes, then dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Pro Tip – These tastes best warm, when the centre is a bit melty and the dough is nice and soft. To refresh the leftovers you can pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds or place them back in the air fryer at 320°F for 2-3 minutes.
If you have an air fryer that has multiple settings, such as bake or air fry, you will want to select the air fry setting for this recipe.
These should keep in an airtight container for 2 or 3 days. However, they taste best when they are warm, so pop them in the microwave or back in the air fryer for a couple minutes before serving.
Air Fried Peanut Butter Cups
- 1 tube refrigerated country biscuits
- 10 peanut butter cups
- ¼ cup strawberry jam
- powdered sugar
- Separate the biscuits, then working one at a time, flatten each biscuit to about 3 inches round.
- Place 1-2 teaspoons of jam in the centre then place a peanut butter cup on top.
- Carefully pull the edges of the biscuit up and over the peanut butter cup being careful not to squish out the jam.
- Pinch the dough in the centre to seal it around the peanut butter cup.
- Once all the biscuits are filled place them in an air fryer basket leaving about an inch of room between them. If you have a small fryer you can work in batches.
- Set the air fryer to 320 F for 8 minutes.
- When the timer is complete, carefully remove the fried peanut butter cups, let cool for about 5 mintues, then dust with powdered sugar.
- These are best served warm!