Quick and easy hand pies made with fresh, juicy strawberries and a flaky pastry crust. These air fryer hand pies take only minutes to make. Drizzled in a simple lemon icing, they are the perfect summertime treat.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These air-fried strawberry hand pies, made with fresh strawberries, are the perfect summertime treat. They are made with a flaky pastry crust, filled with a sweet strawberry filling and are finished with a lemon icing drizzle.
Because the filling is completely wrapped in pastry they are easily portable, and you can eat them with your hands, so they make a great addition to the lunch box as well.
If strawberries aren’t in season, or you want to save time, you can use store-bought strawberry pie filling instead.
And because these are made in the air fryer they take only 8 minutes to cook.
For a complete list of ingredients see the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Pastry – To make things easy, I used refrigerated pastry. It is sold in a package of 2 deep dish pie shells which is perfect for making 8 hand pies. Of course, if you are ambitious, you can make your own pie pastry instead.
- Strawberries – You want to use fresh strawberries for this recipe. Frozen strawberries will release too much liquid. If you can’t find fresh berries, you can use pie filling instead.
- Sugar – Makes the filling sweet and delicious.
- Cornstarch – This thickens the filling as it cooks so that you don’t have to cook and reduce the filling before making the pies.
- Lemon zest – Lemon always goes well with berries and will help brighten the flavours. If you don’t like lemon, you can leave this out.
- Egg – Gives the hand pies a nice golden crust. If you have an allergy, you can leave the egg out without any issues.
- Cream or milk – This helps thin the beaten egg so that it is easier to brush over the pies.
- Powdered Sugar – Used to create the icing drizzle. If you don’t want icing you can leave it off or use white chocolate drizzle instead.
- Lemon juice – Gives the icing the tangy, lemon flavour. If you aren’t using lemon, you can use cream or milk instead.
Step by Step Instructions
Prepare the Filling
Step 1 – Wash, hull and dice the strawberries into small pieces and add them to a bowl.
Step 2 – Add the sugar, cornstarch, and lemon zest to the diced strawberries. Stir to combine and set aside while you prepare the pastry.
Pro Tip: Be careful not to go too deep when zesting the lemon. You want to use only the bright yellow part of the rind. If you go too deep you will get into the white pith which will give your hand pies a bitter flavour.
Cut the Pastry & Fill the Pies
Step 3 – Unroll the pastry and cut each sheet into 8 rounds using a 3.5-inch cutter. Alternatively, you can make them bigger or smaller, use fun shapes such as hearts, or simply cut them into squares with a sharp knife.
You can bring the scraps together, roll and cut them into additional rounds or save the scraps for something else.
Step 4 – Spoon approximately 1 tablespoon of filling onto half of the pastry rounds.
Seal the Pies
Step 5 – Place the remaining pastry rounds on top of the filled rounds. Gently press around the edges with your fingers to bring the edges together, then use a fork to crimp around the entire edge to seal. Poke a few holes in the top of each pie.
Step 6 – Whisk the egg and cream in a small bowl, then brush over the top of each pie.
Air Fry the Hand Pies
Step 7 – Place the hand pies in an air fryer basket in a single layer. Work in batches if necessary.
Step 9 – Air fry the hand pies. Set the air fryer to 350°F and cook the pies for 8-9 minutes or until golden brown and slightly crisp.
Frost the Hand Pies
While this step is optional, it will add so much flavour and take these strawberry pies over the top.
Whisk the powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl until it is smooth and runny, then drizzle over top of the pies.
Let the icing set, which should only take a few minutes, and serve.
Substitutions & Variations
There are a few ways you can vary the ingredients in these strawberry hand pies or substitute items if needed.
- Pastry – If you want to make these fully homemade, you can use your own homemade pastry.
- Strawberries – If you can’t find fresh strawberries or want to make things easier, store-bought strawberry pie filling works great.
- Icing – You can leave the icing off if you like. Instead, sprinkle the top of the pies with coarse sugar before air frying. Or you can use a cream cheese icing or drizzle with white chocolate.
- Lemon – If you don’t like lemon, you can leave the lemon zest out of the recipe and make the icing drizzle with cream instead of lemon juice.
Store these strawberry hand pies in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
You can also store these in the freezer in an air-tight container for several months.
Tips for Success and FAQS
- Don’t overfill the pies. It is tempting to add lots of fruit filling, but if they are too full they will burst open when in the air fryer.
- Don’t crowd the basket. You need to cook these in a single layer and make sure to leave a bit of room around them so the air can circulate properly making sure the bottoms are fully cooked.
- Let the pies cool before icing. You don’t have to let the pies cool completely before icing them, but you want to make sure they are not piping hot. If they are too hot the icing will simply melt and absorb into the pies.
Yes. It is recommended that you store these in the refrigerator due to the use of fresh fruit.
Yes, you can. All you need to do is use your favourite gluten-free homemade or store-bought pastry.
More Air Fryer Desserts
Air Fryer Strawberry Hand Pies
- 2 Refrigerated deep dish pie crusts
- 1 Cup small-diced strawberries approximately ½ pint
- 3 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon corn starch
- Zest of one medium lemon 2-3 tsp
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoon cream or milk
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 teaspoon lemon juice
- Mix the diced strawberries, granulated sugar, corn starch and lemon zest in a small bowl and set aside.
- Unroll the pastry and cut each pie crust into 8 rounds with a 3.5-inch round cutter (or any shape/size you like). You should end up with 16 rounds.
- Place 1 tablespoon of strawberry mixture in the middle of 8 of the pastry rounds. Top with the remaining pastry rounds, then use a fork to seal around the edges.
- Poke holes in the top of each hand pie with a fork.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg and cream. Brush over the hand pies.
- Place the hand pies in a single layer of an air fryer basket. Set the air fryer to 350°F and cook 8-9 minutes until golden brown. Work in batches if needed.
- Let the hand pies cool, then mix the powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl until it is smooth and runny. You can make it as thick or thin as you like. Drizzle over the hand pies.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.Click here to join our Facebook group : Air Fryer & Instant Pot Recipes and Cooking Tips