Air-fried frozen tater tots are crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and perfect for dipping. Quick and easy, using the air fryer produces a perfect tot every time and they are ready in about 15 minutes.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I have always been a huge fan of tater tots. I love the blend of the crispy outside and soft, fluffy inside.
I didn’t really think I’d ever find an easier way of cooking frozen tater tots than tearing open the bag, dumping them on a baking sheet, and tossing them in the oven, but I have.
When cooked in the air fryer these tater tots are ready in less time and they are even better than when they are cooked in the oven.
If you forget to stir them when they are in the oven you will sometimes get one side that is much crispier than the rest. When done in the air fryer, they are perfectly crispy all the way around.
They also cook faster and free up space in the oven for other things.
Why We Love These Tater Tots
- You only need the one ingredient, tater tots.
- They make a delicious side dish to almost any meal.
- They take less than 20 minutes from start to finish.
- Kids love the crispy potatoes, especially with dip.
- There is zero work involved other than opening a bag and dumping them in the basket.
The only ingredient you need to make a big basket of air-fried tater tots is frozen tater tots.
You will also want some sort of seasonings such as salt, pepper, or seasoning salt.
There isn’t much to making perfectly crispy tater tots using the air fryer and I’ll admit, this isn’t as much a recipe as it is a how-to.
For this “recipe” you don’t need to worry about adding any oil to the fryer or spraying the tots, they will get deliciously crispy without the need to add any additional fats.
- Preheat your air fryer at 380°F for 5 minutes.
- Pour the tater tots into the air fryer in a single layer and sprinkle with salt, pepper, or seasoning salt.
- Place the basket in the air fryer and set it to 380°F for 16 minutes. Halfway through the cooking time shake the basket.
- When the timer completes, remove the basket from the air fryer, dump the tater tots into a bowl, and season as desired.
Pro Tip – Cooking the tots in an even layer will give the best results and shortest cook time. Should you decide to pile them in there just be sure to shake the basket a few times during the cook and add a few extra minutes.
How to Serve Tater Tots
While tater tots are perfectly delicious with just a bit of salt, there are many ways to dress them up.
You can serve them just as you would French fries, or get fancy with sauces and toppings.
I always like to serve mine with a dip of some sort, like spicy sriracha mayo, or ranch dip. While my husband likes to top his with salsa, sour cream, and guacamole.
And if you are feeling especially adventurous, try turning them into totchos (tater tot nachos). Buffalo chicken totchos are one of our favourite snacks and they are super easy.
They also make a great game-day snack.
No, you don’t. The tater tots already contain oil. You can simply dump them in the basket, season as desired, and cook.
Nope, they can go straight from the freezer to the air fryer.
It will vary a bit depending on your fryer and your desired crispness, but I have found that 380°F for 16 minutes is perfect if they are in a single layer. If you like them extra crispy, or if you have overfilled the basket you will want to add a few extra minutes.
More Simple Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Frozen Tater Tots
- 1 Pound frozen tater tots
- salt to taste
- Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 380°F
- Dump the tater tots into the air fryer basket in a single layer and sprinkle with salt or other seasonings.
- Place the basket in the air fryer, set it to 380°F, and set the time for 16 minutes.
- Halfway through the cooking time, shake the basket.
- After 16 minutes check for desired crispiness. If you would like them crispier you can return them to the air fryer for a couple of minutes.
- When they are your desired doneness, remove them from the air fryer, season, and serve.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.Click here to join our Facebook group : Air Fryer & Instant Pot Recipes and Cooking Tips