Flaky pastry filled with blueberry pie filling and air fried until crisp and golden. Topped with a light icing drizzle these portable hand pies are perfect for snacks on the go.
I love pie, but it can be a lot of work and with only 2 of us in the house there isn’t much need to make a whole pie very often.
These air fried blueberry hand pies are perfect because they make a nice, individual serving. They keep a few days in the fridge, but they can also be frozen so you can just pull one or two out whenever you feel like a little something sweet with dinner.
Because the filling is completely wrapped in pastry they are easily portable, so they make a great addition to the lunch box as well.
The thing I love most is that you can make them any flavour you like. I’ve chosen blueberry this time, but they are equally delicious with apple pie filling, cherry, strawberry or even pumpkin.
You can buy a tin of pie filling or if you are feeling extra fancy you can make your own. They would be especially delicious made with fresh, seasonal fruit.
And because these are made in the air fryer they take only 8 minutes to cook.
You only need 5 ingredients to make these blueberry hand pies.
Pastry – To make things easy, I used refrigerated pastry. It is sold in a package of 2 deep dish pie shells which is perfect for making 8 hand pies. Of course, if you are ambitious, you can make your own pie pastry instead.
Blueberry pie filling – This comes in a can in the baking aisle of most grocery stores. You won’t need a whole can, but the leftovers will freeze well for next time.
Egg – Makes the crust nice and golden.
Powdered sugar – For the icing. Optional, but recommended!
Milk, cream or lemon juice – To make the icing drizzle. Lemon goes great with the blueberry.
You can make these hand pies in any flavour you like. If you don’t like blueberry, try cherry, apple, or strawberry!
These delicious little pies come together with just a few easy steps. I’ve used a large round cookie cutter to cut my pastry, but you can use any shape and size you like.
Make the pies
Begin by unrolling the pastry and using a 3.5 inch round cutter, cut each pastry sheet into 8 rounds. If you like you can gather the scraps and roll them out to get a few more.
Next spoon 1-2 tablespoons of filling on half of the pastry rounds then place another pastry round on top.
Using a fork, press the outer edges of each pie together making sure it is sealed all the way around.
Whisk the egg in a small bowl and brush over each sealed hand pie.
Air fry the hand pies
Place the hand pies in the air fryer basket without overlapping them. In my 5.8qt Cosori basket I can fit 4 hand pies.
Set the basket in the air fryer at 350°F and cook for 8 minutes until pies are slightly crisp and golden.
Ice the hand pies
In a small bowl, mix the powdered sugar and milk until you have an icing that you can drizzle.
Remove the hand pies from the air fryer basket and place on a cooling rack, then drizzle the icing over the warm pies.
Yes you can. If you’d prefer to make these hand pies with puff pastry you will want to decrease the temperature to 320°F and increase the time to 12 minutes.
This recipe has been created and tested for use with the air fry setting.
You can store these in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. They also freeze extremely well.
More Air Fried Desserts
- 2 deep-dish refrigerated pie crusts
- 1/2 Cup blueberry pie filling
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 Cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tsp milk or lemon juice
- Unroll the pastry and cut each pastry sheet into 8 rounds using a 3.5 inch cutter.
- Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of filling into the centre of 8 of the rounds, then place the remaining 8 rounds on top.
- Using a fork, go around the edge of each pie using the tines to press and seal the edges together. Make sure it is sealed all the way around.
- Lighly whisk the egg then brush over the top of each hand pie.
- Place the pies into the air fryer basket or tray leaving a bit of room between them. Work in batches if you need to, I can fit 4 pies in my 5.8qt basket.
- Place the basket into the air fryer and set the temperature to 350°F for 8 minutes.
- When the timer is complete the pies should be lightly golden and feel crisp when you tap them.
- Remove the pies to a cooling rack.
- Whisk the powdered sugar and milk (or cream or lemon juice) in a small bowl until you have an icing just thin enough to drizzle.
- Using a spoon, drizzle the icing over the pies. Serve and enjoy either warm or cold.
I've used a 3.5 inch round cutter to form the pies, but you can use whatever size and shape you like.
To get more pies you can gather the scraps of pastry and roll them out with a rolling pin.
If your air fryer had both an air fry and bake setting you will use the air fry setting for this recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 161Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 127mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 3g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only.