A rich chocolate cheesecake on a chocolate cookie crust and topped with chocolate ganache. Wow your friends and family with this triple chocolate cheesecake that is made in the air fryer!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cheesecake is a rich and creamy dessert that is usually served on a crunchy cookie crust.
This triple chocolate cheesecake is made with a chocolate cookie base, decadent chocolate cheesecake and smooth chocolate ganache. It really is a chocoholic’s dream.
I like to top it with some fresh whipped cream and shaved chocolate. The whipped cream helps balance the richness of the cheesecake nicely. It is also delicious with fresh berries, such as raspberries or strawberries or some nice fresh cherries.
This makes a 7-inch cheesecake that will serve 8 people comfortably.
Why We Love This Recipe
Simple ingredients – This delicious cheesecake is made with simple ingredients, just cream cheese, chocolate and basic ingredients found in most baked goods.
Easy preparation – The preparation of this cheesecake is fairly simple and doesn’t take long. It will only take about 15 minutes of preparation before popping it in the air fryer to cook. The bulk of time for this recipe is in letting the cheesecake rest in the refrigerator.
For a full list of ingredients see the printable recipe at the bottom of this post.
Some notes about some of the main ingredient:
Chocolate cookie crumbs – You should be able to buy these in the same section of the store that you purchase graham cracker crumbs. If you can’t find them you can make your own in the food processor with Oreos or chocolate wafer cookies. It will usually take between 12-15 cookies for 1 cup of crumbs.
Cream cheese – This recipe has only been tested with full fat block-style cream cheese. If you choose to use low fat or spreadable cream cheese you may have to adjust the cook time and it may affect how well it sets.
Sour cream – This recipe uses full fat sour cream. Light sour cream is thinner and the the cheesecake will not set the same. You could substitute this with a full fat thick greek yogurt if you prefer.
Chocolate – For the melted chocolate you can use chocolate chips or chopped baking chocolate for both the cheesecake and ganache. Both will work well. I do recommend semi-sweet chocolate over milk chocolate or you may find the cake too sweet.
Prepare the crust
Mix the cookie crumbs, melted butter and sugar in a small bowl.
Press into the bottom of a springform pan and 1 inch up the sides then place it in the air fryer at 350°F for 5 minutes.
Remove from the air fryer to cool while you mix the cheesecake.
Pro Tip – Use the bottom of a glass or measuring cup to press the cookie crumbs into the pan. This will help you get an even crust.
Prepare the cheesecake
Before you start, make sure the cream cheese, sour cream and eggs are room temperature.
In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese, sour cream sugar and vanilla until well blended. Then add the cocoa powder and melted chocolate and mix again, just until mixed.
Add the eggs to the batter one at time. Mix each for only 10-20 seconds, just until fully mixed into the batter.
Pour the cheesecake into the springform pan. Holding the edges of the pan, tap the bottom on the counter a couple of times to help remove any air bubbles.
Carefully lower the cheesecake into the air fryer basket and place the basket in the air fryer. Be careful not to push too hard or move too fast otherwise the cheesecake may slosh out of the pan.
You will set the air fryer to 300°F and the timer for 22 minutes.
After the timer is complete, slowly remove the basket and give the cheesecake a little jiggle. The cheesecake should have a bit of a wobble still, sort of like jello, but it should not be liquidy. If it is still a bit liquidy you can place it back in the air fryer for another couple of minutes.
Leave the cheesecake in the air fryer for 30 minutes to gradually cool, then remove from the air fryer and leave on the counter for 30 minutes before placing in the refrigerator to set.
Pro Tip – All air fryers cook slightly different depending on the make, model and wattage. If your air fryer usually cooks faster than a recipe calls for start with 20 minutes cook time. If the cheesecake is not ready you can always add more time as needed. We use a Cosori 5.8qt air fryer.
Decorate the cake
Make the chocolate ganache by mixing the chopped chocolate and heavy cream in a small bowl. Melt in the microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring between each interval until nice and smooth.
Pour the ganache over the cheesecake and smooth it out with an offset spatula or butter knife letting some drip over the side.
You can leave the cheesecake as is or decorate further with whipped cream, shaved chocolate, berries, or anything else you desire.
I like adding whipped cream swirls as I find the light flavour of the whipped cream helps balance the richness of the cheesecake.
Tips for making cheesecake
Cheesecake is a dessert that can be intimidating to make, especially if you’ve never made one before. But it doesn’t have to be. There are a few tips you can follow to ensure your cheesecake is a success.
- Make sure all the cold ingredients, cream cheese, sour cream, eggs and any other refrigerated ingredient, are at room temperature before starting. I just pull them out a few hours before I’m ready to start.
- Don’t over mix the ingredients. You really want to mix just until everything is incorporated.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix only 10-20 seconds until each egg is blended with the cream cheese mixture. You want to add as little air as possible to the batter. Over mixing will cause the batter to rise like a soufflé while baking, then while cooling it will sink and crack.
- Don’t over bake. Over baking will dry the cake out and will cause cracking. There should still be a bit of wiggle when it’s done baking, like jello. It will set as it cools and chills. If at the end of baking it is still liquidy, however, you can bake a few more minutes.
- Don’t skip the chill time. Cheesecake really needs at minimum 6 hours to chill so it can set properly and develop the correct flavour. If you try to eat it too early it will ooze when you cut into it and it may have an eggy flavour.
- Unless the directions say otherwise, wait to decorate until it is fully set. Decorating too early could cause the top to sink.
Yes. Cheesecake will freeze very well. You can wrap it in tinfoil or plastic wrap, it should keep up to 3 months. I would recommend removing any whipped cream from the top before freezing as it sometimes will liquify as it thaws.
Yes. Cheesecake should be stored in the refrigerator until it is time to serve. Leftovers can be wrapped and stored in the refrigerator for about 5 days.
More Air Fryer Desserts
- 1 1/2 Cups chocolate cookie crumbs
- 3 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 16oz (2 blocks) full fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 Cup sour cream, room temperature
- 6 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4oz semi-sweet chocolate chips or chopped baking chocolate
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 5 Tbsp heavy cream
- Mix the cookie crumbs, melted butter and granulated sugar in a small bowl until well combined.
- Press the cookie crumbs into the base and 1 inch up the sides of a 7 inch springform pan. I like to use the bottom of a glass to help keep it even and well pressed.
- Place the pan into the airfryer and bake at 350°F for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the air fryer and allow the crust to cool while you make the cheesecake.
- Place the cream cheese and sour cream in a large bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and sugar and beat just until well mixed with the cream cheese.
- Add the cocoa powder and melted chocoalate. Mix just until everthing is well incorporated.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix, just until mixed. 10-20 seconds. You do not want to overmix or add air to the batter.
- Pour the cheesecake batter into the springform pan. Give the cake pan a few taps by holding it from the edge and tapping it on the counter. This will help remove any air bubbles.
- Place the pan in the air fryer basket and place the basket in the fryer. Set the air fryer to 300°F for 22 minutes.
- When the timer is complete carefully remove the basket. Give the basket a little shake to make sure the cheesecake is properly set. It will have a bit of wiggle, but it should not be liquidy. If it is too jiggly add 2-3 minutes to the cook time.
- When the cook time is complete, leave the cheesecake in the air fryer for 30 minutes to gradually cool.
- After 30 minutes remove the cheesecake to a cooling rack. Allow to cool 30 minutes, then cover and place in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight before adding ganache.
- Add the chopped chocolate and cream to a small bowl.
- Microwave on 15 second intervals, stirring between each interval, until smooth.
- Remove the cheesecake from the springform pan. If the edges are a bit stuck you can use a warm butter knife and run it along the edge. Remove the cheesecake from the bottom of the pan and move to a cake plate if you like, or just leave it on the springform base.
- Pour the ganache over the cheesecake and use an offset spatula or dull knife to gently push the ganache to the edges. Allow some to drip over the sides.
- Place back in the refrigerator for 1 hour to set before serving.
Optional - add swirls of whipped cream, chopped chocolate, berries, cherries or other decor to the top.
Make sure the cream cheese, sour cream and eggs are room temperature before starting.
4 ounces (by weight) of chocolate chips equals approximatly 2/3 Cup.
The cheesecake will have some wiggle at the end of the cooktime. This is normal and it will continue to set as it cools.
If your cheesecake cracks after cooling it is usually caused either becasue it rose while baking due to over mixing, or it is overbaked. It will still taste great, just cover it in ganache!
For additional tips, see the section "Tips for making cheesecake" in the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 378Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 136mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 3gSugar: 30gProtein: 5g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only.