Air fryer frozen sweet potato fries are a delicious side dish to any meal. They are also a nice addition to appetizer platters, or simply enjoyed as a snack. When cooked in the air fryer, sweet potato fries are nice and crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, and they take less than 20 minutes to cook. Season them with your favourite seasoning, add a dish of dip and serve.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
We love the air fryer for cooking frozen foods, especially things like french fries and sweet potato fries. When cooked in the air fryer, the fries turn out perfectly crispy on the outside, without the need for added oil and usually cooks in about half the time it takes in the oven.
Sweet potato fries in the air fryer are crisp and delicious on the outside while staying soft and fluffy on the inside. And unlike cooking them in the oven, which oven results in only one side being being crisp, the air fryer helps cook them evenly. They will taste just like they’ve been cooked in a deep fryer, but without the added fat.
With sweet potato fries you will want to watch the cooking time carefully and shake the basket a few times during the process. They will tend to soften quite a bit in the first few minutes, so don’t panic if you see this, but they will start to crisp up again. Due to the higher sugar content in sweet potatoes, they will burn more easily than regular french fries. Just be sure to check them at about the 16 minute mark and add 1-2 minutes longer at a time if they aren’t crispy enough for you.
Get a FREE copy of our Air Fryer Cooking Times Chart, available in both Farhenheit and Celcius!
Why We Love Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- You only need a bag of frozen sweet potato fries and some simple seasoning.
- They make a delicious side dish to almost any meal, or a tasty snack.
- Using the air fryer, frozen sweet potato fries are ready in about than 20 minutes.
- All you need to do is open the bag and dump them in the air fryer. No additional oils are needed.
For a complete list of ingredients, see the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Frozen sweet potato fries – Choose your favourite brand and cut. The timing in these instructions should work for most types of sweet potato fries. Thin, shoestring style fries may require less time.
- Seasoning – You can use anything you like. Salt, pepper, seasoning salt, cajun seasoning, and even garlic salt all work well.
Step by Step Instructions
Preheat the air fryer to 380°F for 5 minutes, then dump the sweet potato fries into the basket in a single layer. A bit of overlap is ok, but don’t stack the basket full.
Place the basket in the air fryer and cook the sweet potato fries at 380°F for 16-20 minutes. Shake the basket a couple of times during the cooking process to make sure the fries are not sticking together and ensure even cooking.
When you’ve reached your desired crispiness, remove the sweet potato fries from the basket, season and serve.
Pro Tip: Don’t cram the air fryer basket full. While a bit of overlap is ok, you want to make sure you are filling only with a shallow layer, otherwise fries in the middle layer will be soggy and undercooked.
Sweet potato fries make an excellent side dish anywhere you would normally serve french fries. They are also a great addition to an appetizer platter or eaten as a snack.
These sweet, crispy fries are delicious along side an air fried cheeseburger, garlic parmesan wings, or a juicy pan seared flank steak.
They would also be a delicious served with some slow-cooker chicken legs.
This crispy finger food can also be served on an appetizer platter for game day or parties along with other finger foods such as cream cheese stuffed mushrooms, blistered shishito peppers, and air fried meatball sub skewers.
We definitely recommend serving them with some sort of dip. Ketchup is fine, if you like that, but these crispy, sweet fries go especially well with spicy sauces such as sriracha mayo, and curry mayo dip.
Top tip and FAQS
No. You can cook the sweet potato fries from frozen.
No cooking spray or oil is needed. The fries will not stick to the basket and frozen fries are already prepared with a bit of oil which helps make them crispy.
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
Click here to join our Facebook Group : Air Fryer & Instant Pot Recipes and Tips
Air Fryer Frozen Sweet Potato Fries
- 1 pound frozen sweet potato fries
- seasoning to taste
- Preheat the air fryer to 380°F for 5 minutes.
- Dump the sweet potato fries into the air fryer in a single layer.
- Place the basket in the air fryer and set it to 380°F. Cook the sweet potato fries for 16-20 minutes, until they've reached your desired crispiness, shaking the basket a couple of times during the cooking process.
- Remove the fries from the basket, season as desired and serve.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.Click here to join our Facebook group : Air Fryer & Instant Pot Recipes and Cooking Tips