This trending Tiktok recipe of air fried pasta chips makes a fun, quick snack. Just take some cooked pasta noodles, toss them in some cheese and seasoning and air fry until crisp. These little chips are an addicting little treat. Serve with your favourite dip and enjoy.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I am always looking for a good snack to munch on while I’m watching movies or reading a book. And since I rarely keep snacks in the house I love it when I can find something quick and easy I can make myself.
Pasta chips are a crunchy little snack that are quick to make and only require a few simple ingredients that are always on hand.
These little chips can be made with any flavour you like. Pizza seasoning, ranch seasoning, and Italian seasoning are some of my favourites, but you can get creative and make your own blend as well. Once you start making these tasty little snacks you are going to want to try more and more flavours.
What Are Pasta Chips?
Pasta chips are pasta noodles that have been cooked to al dente then coated in olive oil and various cheeses or seasonings.
Then the pasta is placed in the air fryer until it is golden and crisp, resulting in what has been called pasta chips. They have a nice crunch and you can season them however you like. You can make them cheesy, salty, or spicy. Season them with store-bought seasoning blends or create your own.
Pasta chips is a recipe that has recently been trending on TikTok. And just like twisted bacon and tomato feta pasta everyone is trying this recipe. But if you do a search you will find that these crispy little pasta bites have actually been around for many years.
Before the invention of the air fryer, however, most recipes have these chips being either baked in the oven, or fried in a deep fryer. The air fryer has just made them easier and more convenient to make.
Are Pasta Chips the Same as Eating Raw Pasta?
This is a good question, and I can understand why people ask it.
It seems redundant to take raw pasta, boil it until it’s soft, and then cook it until it’s crunchy again. However, I can assure you that pasta chips are not the same as eating raw pasta.
The difference really is that pasta chips are crispy without being hard. They really do take on the texture of a crunchy chip. Similar to thick cut kettle chips, they have more bite than your average cheap potato chip, but not so much crunch that they will break your teeth.
If you’ve ever snuck the crispy pasta corners off a baked lasagna, like I always do, you will have a better idea of what you can expect from a pasta chip.
You only need 4 ingredient in order to make these air fried pasta chips.
- Pasta – I prefer using short tubular pasta such as Rigatoni, penne, or ziti. I find it cooks more evenly than spiral pasta or bow-tie and it’s a nice size for dipping.
- Olive oil – You only need about 1 tablespoon. Just enough to coat the pasta, make the cheese and seasoning stick and help crisp the pasta.
- Parmesan cheese – I like to use fresh parmesan that is finely shredded. It melts nicely and tastes great. You can use grated parmesan if you prefer.
- Seasonings – This is where it gets fun. You can use whatever seasoning blend you like. I used pizza seasoning for mine, but you can use a simple Italian seasoning, bbq seasoning, or even ranch.
In a small bowl, mix the cooked pasta, olive oil, shredded parmesan cheese and seasoning until pasta is well coated.
Place the seasoned pasta in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Place the basket in the air fryer and set to 390°F for 8 minutes. Remove the basket and shake every couple minutes to help ensure the pasta cooks evenly.
After 8 minutes, check for doneness. Pasta should feel dry and crisp. If it is still soft place it back in the air fryer for another 1-2 minutes checking after 1 minute.
When the pasta is crisp and golden remove from the air fryer and serve.
Pasta chips should keep for a few days at room temperature if they are stored in an airtight container or ziplock bag.
You can use fresh pasta, but you will still want to boil it for a minute or two. After boiling simply follow the same directions to turn the pasta noodles into chips.
More Air Fryer Snacks
Air Fryer TikTok Pasta Chips
- 1 Cup raw pasta rigatoni, penne or ziti
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ Cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 1-2 teaspoon seasoning blend
- Begin by boiling a pot of water and cooking the pasta according to the package directions until al dente.
- Drain the pasta and rinse under cold water. Shake to remove excess water.
- Place the pasta in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat. Then add the cheese and seasoning and toss until pasta is well coated.
- Place the pasta into an air fryer basket and set the fryer to 390°F for 8 minutes.
- Shake the basket every couple of minutes to help the pasta cook evenly.
- After 8 minutes check for doneness. It should be golden and crisp. If the pasta still feels soft place it back in the air fryer for 1-2 mintues checking after 1 minute.
- When the pasta is done to your liking, remove from the air fryer and serve. Can be served hot or cold and with optional dip.